Sunday, October 30, 2016

"Stranded" - Gojira


Every so often a song just gets burned into my subconscious and I just can't get it out of my head...  Gojira's "Stranded" is such a song.

I had heard of Gojira before, but I'm sorry to say that I never gave them much of a chance.  That changed yesterday when a friend texted me the name of this song.  Holy cow!


From the start, that chugging, lurching riff with the horror-movie sounding screech is hair-raising and hypnotic.  The vocals on this are simultaneously angry and urgent, demanding your attention.  As the song progresses, the riffing becomes a march backing up the agonizingly desperate sounding chorus.  I dunno, to me it's just everything you could want in a metal performance.

Side note:  It didn't escape my attention that this group's name is based on a certain radioactive Japanese monster...  A heavy metal band named after a beloved kaiju?  This warrants further research...

No comments:

Post a Comment