Saturday, April 25, 2020

The HU


I've always had a very eclectic taste in music.  On any given day you might find me listening to anything from classical to heavy metal, folk to classic rock.  Now imagine a group combining elements from all of those genres - along with a central focus on Mongolian throat-singing - and you get The Hu.


"Wolf Totem" - This was the group's debut single.  I'm not sure what made me finally click the link when appeared on my Youtube suggestions, but I'm definitely glad I did!  The video grabs your attention from the start with the haunting call of a bird of prey as a traditional Mongolian warrior rides a horse through a barren field.  It's foreboding imagery, but then things get weird...  A gang of motorcyclists joins the horseman?  And yet, this is a perfect encapsulation of the group's sound.  They combine traditional Mongolian music with a modern, undeniably metal influence.  And the throat-singing?  Memorizing!  I'm not sure how many times I watched this video...  I was hooked!


Take moment to appreciate the incredible craftsmanship behind the group's instruments.


"Yuve Yuve Yu"- Then along came this little ditty...  It's still The Hu, but this time around I get the classic rock vibe.  This song - to me - could easily be a Mongolian cover of a ZZ-Top number.  It's catchy as can be!  Thankfully this video was accompanied with subtitles.  The lyrics are about forgotten heritage and disrespecting the wisdom of those who have come before.  The producers of this music video took a very literal path with its intro, the video is a straightforward representation of the song's meaning.  We start off in the lazy modern age before being swept away into the epic, picturesque Mongolian landscape.  I adore the cinematography for this video, by the way... the sweeping drone shots and slick editing are a visual treat.


"Sugaan Essena" - As if I couldn't love this band anymore...  Imagine my surprise as I'm playing the opening minutes of the latest Star Wars game, only to discover the main character enjoying their music as he works dismantling a starship!  Yes, The Hu managed to find their way into the Star Wars universe by recording an all-new track for Jedi: Fallen Order!  If you're as ignorant of world languages as I am, you could be forgiven for thinking they're singing in Mongolian as they usually do.  Interestingly enough, however, the band created an alien language especially for this song!  With this one, they've definitely crossed over into full-on metal, the closing minutes of the track are pure riffage and I love it!

The Hu's debut album - "The Gereg" was released last year.  Check it out!  It's a good listen!

The group's official website:  https://www.thehuofficial.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment